Sunday, May 16, 2010

New Avengers Finale Review

Normally, I review individual issues in videos on my YouTube channel, but this issue wasn't on my weekly pull list. I noticed this issue when I went to my local comic book store this weekend and decided to pick it up. Thankfully Brian Michael Bendis delivers a nice finale to the New Avengers series.


Well all I can say about the story is that the New Avengers notice that the Hood and Madame Masque are missing from the captured villains, so the team decide to take him down since they know he's de-powered. They manage to find the Hood trying to buy some super powers from Count Nefaria, Madame Masque's father. Fortunately the Hood and Madame Masque are taken out quickly but Nefaria is a whole nother issue. Thankfully through the efforts of Ms. Marvel and Wolverine, all three criminals are arrested and dropped off with the other villains back at the Siege battlefield. And the issue ends with the team hearing the announcement that Steve Rogers is the new Nick Fury and all the heroes are pardoned for their actions from Civil War to the present.

This issue was (for me) the best comic that had the title, New Avengers, and was written by Bendis, that I have read in almost a year. Most of the artwork was pretty sweet, such as when Wolverine starts slicing Nefaria like a chef at a sushi restaurant. Luke Cage's speech as well as the pages recapping the New Avengers' adventures at the end was pretty awesome.

The only problem is that the Hood was the only villain who escaped capture immediately after Siege. He always needs assistance from someone else, first it was Dormammu then Loki for super powers, then it was Madame Masque to escape custody after Loki took back the Norm stones. Since his first appearance in New Avengers, I've felt that Bendis uses this character as much as Tim Burton uses Johnny Debt in his movies.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this issue  because this was the only team to get a decent finale issue. Mighty Avengers did not have much of a crossover into Siege and the final issue of Dark Avengers was more of an epilogue. Well this team definately got a well deserved send off, but I don't think I'll buy the new New Avengers issues because in my opinion, the last few issues of the New Avengers series were not entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment