Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Comics for May 19, 2010

Here's my pull list for the week of May 19, 2010

What new comics am I excited for?

Avengers #1


There's going to be at least six Avengers books coming out this summer as part of Marvel's Heroic Age. The classic Avengers is something I'm excited for because the line up looks great and the first story involves the time traveling villain, Kang. The only flaw is that the writer, Brian Michael Bendis, has failed to impress me with his final issues of New Avengers and some of the dialogue during Siege was pretty weak. Plus, I (like many fans) was expecting Steve Rogers to return to the Captain America identity. Although Bucky has grown into the role, its going to feel different having a new Avengers series and someone else as Captain America on this new team. Overall, I expect this new Avengers series to be a fun and entertaining ride, and hopefully Bendis will do a better job with this team.



Legion of Super-Heroes #1


A new series staring the classic Legion plus its written by Paul Levitz. What Legion fan wouldn't want to pick this up next week. The Legion has been through a lot of changes due to events such as Zero Hour and other Crisis stories. Thankfully the first Legion of Super-Heroes returned during Geoff Johns' run on Action Comics and the Legion of 3 Worlds mini-series. Now the Legion that fans know and love has returned in a new series by Paul Levitz. Levitz's work on the Legion has been favored by many fans and this new series will recieve as much praise as Levitz's work in the past.

 What current comics am I excited for?

Invincible Iron Man #26
Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man has become one of my favorite series. I've enjoyed reading the first two graphic novels of the series as well as the recent Stark Disassembled story. The new Bleeding Edge armor has yet to show its true power but so far it looks really awesome. My only complaint about this series is that Tony's new business decision seems too similar to what happened during the Iron Man move. Overall, I'm still pretty excited for this issue. 

War of the Supermen #3

So far I've been enjoying War of the Supermen mini-series. I like how DC decided to release the entire series during the month of May. Plus I enjoyed how General Lane used some giant weapon in each issue (ex. Bomb obliterating New Krypton in #1 and the red sun bomb at the end of #2). Part of me does want this series to end so DC can get back to making stories that have Superman back on Earth fighting villains like Lex Luthor or Parasite. I'm really looking forward to the last half of this story.

What comics am I least excited for?


Brightest Day #2


Although I was excited for most series coming out during DC's Brightest Day event (ex. Green Lantern books and the Flash), so far the Brightest Day series has been a swing and a miss for me. I did enjoy the set up in the first few issues for the resurrected characters, however there has not been anything to get me excited for future issues of this series. I'll still continue to get this to see if anything develops but I would not expect too much to happen.


Justice League of America #45


I initially started to get this series because James Robinson's League initially featured some good characters such as the Titans, but that was short lived. Now the only members on the team are Batman (Dick Grayson), Donna Troy, Starman (Mikaal Tomas), and Congorilla. Plus I'm not too excited about Jade's re-appearance from the last issue because I have not read any stories featuring her. I'll probably stop getting this series after its crossover with the JSA.

So thats my list of new comics for May 19th. Comment if you think I made any wrong decisions regarding my excitement for next week.

1 comment:

  1. I read Legion of Superheroes 1 and it was pretty good, and I recomend leaving the next Justice League of America story arc on the rack. #45 was one of the worst comics I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete